Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Wow, what a first day!!

Well, my first day of play at the Series is over. It was a fabulous day full of wild swings and amazing hands. The table I was at saw at least a dozen hands that were decided on the river with a very unlikely final card swinging things from one player to another.

I'll get to how I did later (I am quite pleased) but wanted to first mention some of the cool guys I met today. I chatted a bit with Mark Seif, a bracelet winner who is on TV all the time. I also had a long conversation with Hevad "Rain" Khan. He's the guy who finished 6th at the Main Event last year and made a big name for himself with his huge celebratory antics after winning pots.



He's a great guy, very open and funny. He was sitting at the table next to mine much of the afternoon and we talked a few times about our chipstacks and how we were each doing. They have a new rule against excessive celbration at the Series this year and I asked him how he felt about it. he laughed and said, "They made that rule just for me. I made the Final Table and re-wrote the rule book last year -- not bad, huh?"





"Rain" is now one of my favorite players.



Sitting in the seat right next to me at my table most of the day was the attractive, younger, Asian woman. The liveupdate reporters, the guys who porovide running commentary on the Series online, kept on chatting with her and noting her hands (she whupped me for a big pot at one point -- more on that later). I asked her if she was someone I should know and she said, "No, I'm not famous but I play a lot so they know me." She was being modest. Turns out she is Anna Wroblewski, who writes a column for Bluff Magazine and is an internationally ranked player. She has already cashed in 3 events at the series this year and has career tournament earnings of close to a million dollars. She was an excellent player and it was fun to watch her play sitting right next to her. We chatted a fair amount during the play.

Well, gotta run now. I must get food!!! I am starving. I'll have a full rundown of a bunch of the interesting hands I played at little later.

Oh, and I'll also let you know how I did today ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What other events are you entering?

Jason Evans said...

I'll be playing in Thursday's $1500 NLH and perhaps Friday's $2000 PLH. Wish me luck!

-Jason

Anonymous said...

Good luck Thursday and Friday!